should dairy farmers want to control flies?
Here are some of the harmful effects resulting from excess flys in the farming industry:
- Reduce milk production as cows expend energy fending off flies.
They may also stop eating, being only concerned with fighting
the flies. Studies have shown 15-30% lower milk production due
- Cause reduced feed conversion efficiency. Stable flies have
been known to cause severe weight retardation in young calves
and beef cattle.
- Cause blood loss.
- Cause hide damage.
- Increase the risk of complaints and legal action from the public.
- Put stress on young replacement animals, delaying their entry
into production and adversely affecting lifelong production performance.
- Reduce farm worker productivity as flies interfere with work
such as feeding and milking. Both animals and humans are annoyed
and suffer from stable fly bites.
- Cattle tend to huddle together to protect their legs and belly
from painful stable fly bites. They stomp their feet to dislodge
the flies and this leads to animal fatigue.
- Increase the frequency of animal disease transmission, leading
to increased medication costs and increased veterinary service
costs. Diseases transmitted to dairy cows by flies include mastitis,
pink-eye, brucellosis and streptococci and staphylococci bacterial
infections. They can also transmit salmonella and E. coli, increasing
the likelihood of milk contamination and loss.
- Increase the potential for spread of human diseases.
Why should farmers use Leaf Pest Control services?
- Leaf utilizes Integrated Pest Management (IPM) and can offer
advice on monitoring fly populations, cultural control practices,
biological control agents and chemical control.
- Leaf’s technician’s are trained to provide prompt,
efficient and effective service.
- Leaf’s services are economical.
- Leaf’s service is provided in a manner that avoids milk
contamination, is safe for animals and humans and prevents the
spread of diseases from farm to farm.
- Leaf can provide solutions to other farm problems: rodents,
birds, stinging insects and others.
- Leaf guarantees all of its work.
Call Leaf for a free analysis of your